Re: Loading things directly from targz/zip files?

Daniel Burrows <Daniel_Burrows@brown.edu> writes:

>   I've noticed that gmc doesn't support opening files which are inside archives.
> Given that it currently lets you look inside an archive as if it were a
> drectory, this would be a nice feature to add; would it be possible to
> teach gmc that (for example) display lets you pipe data in instead of loading
> it from disk, or would this be too baroque an addition?

Hmm.  .tar.gz isn't a very efficient format for doing this sort of
thing.  You have to decompress the entire tar file to find out it's
contents.  This is not the sort of behaviour that should be default.
Not for large files, at least.

Other file formats common in the DOS/Windows world, such as zip, arj,
rar etc are searchable without decompression, so these should probably
be openable like a directory.
--
Sam Vilain, sam@whoever.com         work: sam.vilain@unisys.com
http://www.hydro.gen.nz                home: sam@hydro.gen.nz