interrupt character in gnome-terminal (^c)

i'm sure this has got to be a FAQ but i can't seem to figure this out...

when running gnome-terminal i am sometimes unable to interrupt out of
programs (with ^c in my case).  for example, running "find / -print"
juest scrolls and scrolls, ignoring my control-c's.  ^\ fails to
interrupt as well.  however, suspend (^z) works just fine, but this is
annoying since i then have to kill the process manually.

i've installed gnome on at least two other machines and always get the
same results...

am i missing the obvious?

thanks.
Aldy