Re: Liscences

 || On 25 Feb 1999 17:01:14 +0100
 || richard.rose@zen.co.uk (Richard Rose) wrote:

 rr> As I have probably previously stated, I am working on yet another
 rr> distribution of Linux with some friends of mine. I am after some
 rr> clarification of the liscences of Gnome and it's dependancies.

O.k. - one definite answer to finally lay this thread to rest.

Neither the GPL nor the LGPL forbid to sell the software they
protect. Take as much money as you can possibly get for selling it !

The only thing that you may *never ever* do while selling it is not
distributing the sourcecode and the GPL along with it.

If you cannot put the sourcecode on the medium you sell you'll have to
find a way to supply the sourcecode _without_ _additional_ _cost_ for
the customer and you have to make sure he knows it is his right to get
the sourcecode.

A copy of the GPL/LGPL should always be on a distribution to inform
people about their rights.

Personally I'd also recommend a list of contributors in a visible
place. This is not required but I would consider it good style.

Apart from these rules you may squeeze as much money out of your
customers as you wish. Take everything they have, empty their pockets
and bank accounts - this is up to you... but *never* try to diminish
their rights concerning the software. This applies equally to the LGPL
and GPL.

Hope this is clear now so this discussion dries out...

Regards,
		Georg

P.S. Oh - and if you plan to sell documentation along with it the GNU
Project would like to encourage you to make it available for free in
digital format, as well. Experience shows that you'll sell the printed
versions anyway but you won't make knowledge depending on bank
accounts.

--
Georg C. F. Greve <greve@gnu.org>
"One smaller motivation which, in part, stems from altruism is

PGP signature