Session management: Don't save session on exit/Save session now

Is there any way to get session management to "snapshot" your current
session and use that for all future sessions that start? I usually don't
care to return to the same session I exited at my last logout, preferring a
consistent session startup each time.
If I start Gnome with "panel" instead of the session manager I can start up
my session programs in .Xclients or .xsession, but I don't get some Gnome
properties set (like the background).

I think there should be a "Don't save session on exit" toggle, along with a
"Save session now" command that will save the current session settings.

Opinions, comments, flames?

P.S. On anothes session management note, I can't get Gnome session
management to start exmh. Even if it's running when I exit, it won't restart
when I log in again. I tried adding the exmh startup command line to my
Session Management properties and it still doesn't start. This is with Gnome
0.99.8 on Red Hat 5.2.
--
Manuel A. McLure KE6TAW <mmt@unify.com>