Re: Please help me compile!

Michael Hall <mhall@riverside.org> writes:

> On Wed, Feb 24, 1999 at 06:42:23PM +1000, Paul Gear wrote:
>
> > Here's a pathetic newbie question: what is the recommended/correct way
> > to compile a GNOME application?  I have a new application that i don't
> > know how to compile, and i can't find any information to show me how to
> > do it.
>
> <snip>
>
> > I've also read all of the tutorial information at gnome.org, but i'm
> > still mystified as to where i should be starting.  I'm a little bit
> > frustrated with it at the moment, but i want to contribute by writing
> > GNOME apps.  _PLEASE_ help me!  Even just a basic configure.in and
> > Makefile.am would be sufficient to get me started...
>
>   Look through the Software Map at 'www.gnome.org', theres a program
> called 'gnome-standalone'. It's the basic 'gnome-hello' in a stand-
> alone version and shows/gives a skeleton for writing your own gnome
> apps. I looked at it awhile ago, so I really don't remember much about
> it but maybe it'll help.

In CVS there are gnome-common and gnome-skel. gnome-common installes
all the GNOME macros in $(prefix)/share/aclocal/gnome and gnome-skel
is an example how to set up the autoconf/make stuff so it will find
those macros.

I'm going to write a tutorial about this after GNOME 1.0 is out.

--
Martin Baulig - martin@home-of-linux.org - http://www.home-of-linux.org