Re: gmc/libvfs suggestion for removable media

On Mon, 22 Feb 1999, Daniel Burrows wrote:

>   The two implementations I can think of are either 'automounting'--mount the
> media when it's accessed, do stuff, and umount it--or 'raw'--directly access
> the device. (like mtools).  Probably automounting is the best solution for
> now; in addition to being simpler to implement, it can be done by normal users
> if root adds "user" to the options in the fstab. (also we can get synchronous
> data transfer with the 'sync' option but I don't think I'd rely on that..it
> also doesn't solve the problem of the user removing a mounted disk)

Solaris uses a "volume management" system which polls the removeable
drives which is also a neat idea but a bit bloated.

>   Of course, it's possible that no-one uses floppies anymore and this is
> a useless suggestion. :-)

This is actually a good idea because it also applies to zip, jaz, cdrom's
etc. There are a lot of `sticky' issues involved with removeable media on
a multi user machine (like any *NIX is). This could be a good add-on for
gnome.

Regards

Simon Murcott

 Man will occasionally stumble over the truth,
 but most of the time he will pick himself up and continue on.
 	-Churchill