Re: [BUG] tracked down: panel takes ages to start

On Mon, 22 Feb 1999, Gleef wrote:

> > There is some big inefficiency somewhere parsing .xpm files. My panel
> > background is a 180k .xpm file.
> >
> > When launching ee on the same file it also takes ages to start up!!
>
> Try converting the file to .png or .gif format, if that fixes the problem
> than it definately sounds like a bug in the xpm system (png and gif are
> almost by definition slower, except xpm requires much more I/O).

Before posting this I converted the .xpm to a .jpg for my own sanity.
Waiting for the panel to come up on a fast machine just can't be tolerated
:-)

An strace of a process slowly parsing the xpm shows the thing is fully CPU
bound not I/O bound.

Chris