Re: Conflicting backgrounds

Ian Campbell wrote:

> Or maybe it is possible for GNOME to set a WM hint so that a GNOME aware
> wm wouldn't touch the background?
>
> On Mon, 22 Feb 1999, Richard Hult wrote:
>

> > > ->  I think there should be a checkbox in the background-properties
> > > ->  capplet to say "Let the WM draw the background". If Gnome absolutely
> > > ->  wants to do its own ones, it should be possible to effectively stop
> > > ->  the WM from redrawing the background.
> > >
> > > not possible - you need the WM to co-operate - you cannot "forbid" it.
> > > any wm can do this - see same problem if you use xv, or any other thing
> > > to change the bg (xmountains, xearth etc.)
> >
> > There should at least be an option that make gnome dont touch the
> > background.
> >
> > Richard

No, it should be the other way around, because every WM has it's own way
of doing backgrounds, and most of them do it with themes, which Gnome
cannot be aware of due to the fact that every WM uses it's own theme
format.

A "Let the window manager choose the background" option doesn't seem
that far fetched, all it needs to do is turn off the background loading
on startup.

    Jim Cape
    http://www.jcinteractive.com

    "All animals are equal, some animals