...the Enlightenment experience

Hi !

I just had two hours to kill so I decided to fool around with the
enlightenment and since I know how useful feedback can be I'll try to
give some. :-)

The version we are talking about is the CVS version as per
Sunday 21.2.99 (just to make sure).

Setting it up was no problem - starting it went fine, the panel came
up, enlightenment came up everything's nice except for all those damn
buttons coming up above by panel...

Then I started fiddling around with it. I pulled down a couple of
themes from e.themes.org and tried them out. They all seemed to work
although none influenced the panel so it kinda stuck out sometimes -
it would be nice if the panel would automatically snarf the
englightenments theme style, too...

A *HUGE* plus were the keybindings. Easy to configure and I wouldn't
touch any windowmanager without them anyway. A little wierd is it if
you click on "new" accidentally or forget to edit the last one and
want to edit something in some other window. Since the default
keybinding is "space" and it didn't pay attention whether the focus
was in a window or inside the root window, the space key didn't work
anymore. Maybe another key would be favorable as the default. It
should also be considered to make a difference about where the focus
is. Usually I'd prefer to set my keybindings so that I can still use
those keys in applications but they start my favorite programs when
being in  the root window.

The speed was o.k. - it felt a little clumsy on my P200MMX here at
home... not too bad but not really good either.

What really annoyed me was that a lot of themes put buttons all over
the place or icons / bars / whatevers you cannot move. They either
steal a lot of space from your useable screen (for instance the thing
on top of the "Black" theme) or overlap other things. There should be
a good & clean way to get rid of them imho. A user should never be
forced to use a loaded desktop but only pick the elements he wants
instead.

About the GNOME integration: I don't see why we need more than one
menu. I know this is not a small task but it would be preferrable if
all the menus would link into each other so the user only gets *one*
menu regardless of where he clicks with the mouse... in my eyes there
is really no need for two or more different menus...

Apart from this I really liked the look & feel of enlightenment. Very
good work so far !

Personally I'll wait a little more and see how well it handles in the
future, it's still "in the race" but currently I'll stick to my
fvwm2. .-)

Regards,
		Georg

--
Georg C. F. Greve <greve@gnu.org>
"People who fight may lose. People who do not

PGP signature