Panel sliding oddity..

Regarding jerkiness of the panel sliding, there's one particular spot that
always looks weird for me. I use a K6-233 clocked at 250 with a Matrox
Millenium II and the panel looks really good to me except if you slide it
in to the left and then slide it out. When it slides out, there is a very
strange looking jerk at what appears to be about one tenth the length of
the panel from the right. I run in 1280x1024@24bpp on XFree86.

I'd also like to cast a vote to return to the sliding we had back around
0.25 or whenever it was that we had the variable speed panel sliding. That
looked pretty swift.