Re: gmc vs. mc features - FAQ?

Chris Rogers wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Feb 1999, Yoni Elhanani wrote:
>
> > There is a program called gxTar.
> > Why not combine the two together?
> > (gxTar functions under the gmc interface)
> > that can be really nice.
>
> Well gmc should have the ability to "browse" into zip/gz/tar/etc files by
> double clicking on the file.  If you are compiling it yourself, check after
> the configure to make sure it says yes to compiling in vfs support.

actually, I tested everything now again,
and the problem was that the file was corrupt.
that was kinda silly of me, I guess.

> For those who prefer a separate archive program, I am including a gxtar.keys
> file in the next gxtar release.  This will allow you to override gmc's
> defaults and launch gxtar for the various archives it can handle.
>
> I personally prefer a standalone program for several reasons.  For one I find
> it more natural, but that is probably just many years of winzip use talking.

Maybe,
I'm used to browse archives like directories,
thats more natural, imho, that archives are treated as normal
directories,
since it gives the illusion of sending/recieving a whole directory via
file transfer.
but maybe its just many years of NC talking... :-)

> More importantly, I _hate_ it when you can lock up multiple windows with a
> simple operation.  I hate it in Windows explorer, when you "browse the network
> neighborhood" and it locks all of the explorer windows and the desktop.
> Similarly I hate it when I double click on a large archive in gmc, and
> every gmc window and the desktop all lock up.

Actually i have no such experience with windows,
but usually gmc wont be stuck unless i open a huge file.
(its not for a long time but it's annoying)

> One possible solution for this is to use some sort of threading.  Another
> "solution" is to use a standalone program.  I, for obvious reasons, prefer
> gxtar (gxtar.netpedia.net), though there are several other programs.

I'd preffer the threading solution.
it makes it easier for the user to use a single interface.
either local files, or archives, or ftp, its all the same, thats a good
feature.

> > just a question,
> > can windows' explorer browse inside zip/arj archives?
> I believe there was a norton utility at some point that added this ability,
> but normally no, you use a standalone application, with winzip being the most
> popular.

thats very non microsoftish of them.
I'd think they would make such abilities and then modify zip files
forever.

--

There are no big words, just little people.