all GNOME apps hang if "network" script is off.

	I apologize if this has been brought up on the list before. I've lurked
for quite a while, but I don't always keep an eye on the actual posts so
I may have missed this being mentioned.

	First the scenario...RH 5.2, kernel 2.2.1, 0.99.8 RPMs. I'm not
actually starting a gnome-session from .xinitrc. For the purpose of this
test just assume that I'm starting a panel from an xterm after my window
manager(WM) has started.

	If "network"ing has been turned off( either by issuing an
"/etc/rc.d/init.d/network off" or by removing the network link from
whatever runlevel dir ), when I try to start a GNOME app from an xterm
the app will hang in the initializing state for a matter of minutes. By
"hang"ing I mean that I won't get an instance of gedit or gtt or
whatever, but I also will not get a message to stdout/stderr stating
that something is amiss. After several minutes, the app will appear but
will segfault soon after popping up(at least this is the case with
gedit). I am not a GNOME coder, but I assume that the GNOME apps require
at least a loopback to do some registration with the GNOME CORBA layer.
I guess the apps timeout eventually and that is what I am seeing when
they pop up after several minutes.

	I'm not really sure if this qualifies as a bug( the 'N' in GNOME _is_
"Network" ) but I think it is at least worth a look. Might this pose
problems for users who aren't on a network?

	Steps to reproduce:

	1) start window manager w/o an instance of gnome-session or panel.
	2) shutdown networking with /etc/rc.d/init.d/network stop service
	3) try to start a GNOME app from an xterm
	4) Wait...wait...wait...

--
Nathan Valentine - nrvale0@pop.uky.edu
University of Kentucky Linux Users Group