Re: Correct way to start Gnome?

Tim Lewis wrote:

> Gentlemen:
> If you want your panel 'logout' button to shutdown X, it must be the last
> entry in your .xinitrc (sans ampersand).  If you want your window manager to
> close your X session, then it should appear last.  It is fine to put your
> init commands on their own lines with trailing ampersands.  As far as I
> know, there is no way to make it such that either panel or WM close will
> shut down your X session.  This is due to the fact that to bring your X
> session down, you have to close the last process started in your .xinitrc,
> i.e. the last line without an ampersand.  All other process with trailing
> ampersands are started in the background.
>
> I hope I haven't stated the totally obvious.
> Regards,

I hope this point hasn't already been made, but I saw something earlier that
indicated that all you had to do was exec gnome-session and once that is
running, execute your window manager etc. and shutdown gnome. The next time
you run up your session, gnome-session will start it for you.

I havn't tried this myself, as I am having problems with gnome-session.

Any good to you?

Adam.
--
Signs of crime: screaming or cries for help.
                -- from the Brown Security Crime Prevention Pamphlet