Freezing x-server take 2

Ok, I have finally managed to compile gnome-core and gnome-libs
and the random gnome-* out of cvs. Boy was that a pain.

Anyway, after doing startx, enlightenment starts up (does gnome
start enlightenment automatically now?) and the panel pops
up. I'd expect some stuff on the desktop but I don't get anything..
Kinda wierd I guess. Anyway, as soon as I click on the
'Integrated Help System' icon on the panel, same things happens
as last time.  The window manager becomes unresponsive,
but I can still type commands in the xterm that retained
focus.

Question: I would assume some ORBit stuff would be running at this
point but I don't see anything.  THat is a bad thing right?

Ideas?

	-Scott