Re: gdm & nis

At 12:31 PM 2/10/99 -0500, Daniel Burrows wrote:
>On Wed, Feb 10, 1999 at 01:31:00PM +0100, Robert Bihlmeyer was heard to say:
>> Hi,

>>  Mauro> Hi, here I have a debian-slink with nis enabled. GDM refuses
>>  Mauro> to compile because of a missing function.
>>
>> What's the exact error?
>>
>>  Mauro> I found out that adding "-lnss_nis" to LIBS (i did that
>>  Mauro> directly in the Makefile) solves the problem.
>>
>> As far as I understand glibc, no normal program is required to link
>> directly with any libnss_*. You just link with libc and use the normal
>> functions, which dynamically load and use the appropriate backend(s).
>>
>> There is something amiss.
>>

>  Grr.  I posted this to the list about a week ago. :-)
>
>  Here's the error:
>
>/bin/sh ../libtool --mode=link gcc  -g -O2 -g -Wall
-Wpointer-arith                 -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations
  -o gdm  gdm.o gdmslave.o gdmserver.o gdmverify.o gdmmisc.o gdmauth.o
gdmcookie.o gdmxdmcp.o md5.o -rdynamic -L/usr/local/gnome/lib
-L/usr/X11R6/lib -lgnome -lgnomesupport -lesd -lSM -lICE -laudiofile -lm
-ldb -lglib -ldl -lXdmcp -lX11  -lcrypt -lwrap
>gcc -g -O2 -g -Wall -Wpointer-arith -Wmissing-prototypes
-Wmissing-declarations -o gdm gdm.o gdmslave.o gdmserver.o gdmverify.o
gdmmisc.o gdmauth.o gdmcookie.o gdmxdmcp.o md5.o -rdynamic
-L/usr/local/gnome/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lgnome -lgnomesupport -lesd -lSM
-lICE -laudiofile -lm -ldb -lglib -ldl -lXdmcp -lX11 -lcrypt -lwrap
>/usr/lib/libwrap.a(hosts_access.o): In function `host_match':
>hosts_access.o(.text+0x4c1): undefined reference to `yp_get_default_domain'
>
>  This is Debian potato (2.2).
>
>--
>  Daniel Burrows

I ran into this problem myself while building ORBit. A search using
AltaVista showed some comments that this is caused by
"yp_get_default_domain" not being in libc5 but not libc6. Further comments
claimed that adding libnsl should clear up the problem (and an agreement
with the above comments that libnss_* routines shouldn't be directly used).

Adding:
 -lnsl

to LDADDS in the Makefile.am in the affected directories seems to allow
things to build. I'm not sure what the correct long term solution to this
is -- or what I'll do when I run into it somewhere else. For the moment, I
just wanted to get back to developing.

For ORBit, this problem seems to have been triggered by adding TCP
wrappers. By pulling libwrap into libIIOP, hosts_access seems to reference
yp_get_default_domain.

I'm using Debian 2.0 and have no idea how this affects other Linux systems
(much less non-Linux systems).

Sam Solon