Re: Gnome-libs autogen proglem

With the autogen script,yyou will often find that the first error message
indicated a problem that causes the later error messages.

On Fri, 12 Feb 1999, Radovan Semancik wrote:

> Greetings!
>
> I've got a bunch of error wher trying to run autogen.sh in gnome-libs
> from CVS
>
> first, I've get:
>
> You should update your own `aclocal.m4' by adding the necessary
> macro packages gettext.m4, lcmessage.m4 and progtest.m4 from
> the directory `/aclocal'
>
> But where is my "aclocal.m4" and how to I upadate it?
You can ignore this message.  It is from gettextize, and it is telling you
to make sure that its autoconf macros are found by autoconf.  The aclocal
program takes care of this for you, so don't worry about it.

> Then:
>
> aclocal: configure.in: 275: macro `AM_PATH_GDK_IMLIB' not found in
> library
> aclocal: configure.in: 276: macro `AM_PATH_GDK_IMLIB' not found in
> library
This means that it can't find the imlib macros.  Do you have imlib
properly installed on your system?  If you are using a binary
distribution, make sure that you have the corresponding development
package installed on your system.

> and
>
> libgnome/Makefile.am:256: variable `INTLLIBS' not defined
> libgnome/Makefile.am:261: variable `INTLLIBS' not defined
> libgnorba/Makefile.am:740: variable `ORBIT_LIBS' not defined
> zvt/Makefile.am:886: variable `GDK_IMLIB_LIBS' not defined
These errors are caused by the above one.  Aclocal couldn't find the imlib
macros, so it aborted.  This meant that the macro file for autoconf wasn't
created, which caused these later problems.  (this is partially a problem
with the autogen.sh script.  It should have something like "|| exit $?"
appended to the end of calls to aclocal, gettextize, libtoolize,
autoheader, automake and autoconf so it exits on these errors)

> and a bunch of other errors related to aclocal ...
>
> Please, help
>
> I've got Debian 2.0 system and gnome-related libs installed in
> /opt/gnome
> --
>                                  Radovan Semancik (semancik@alert.sk)
>                                         http://storm.alert.sk