Re: Help, compiling gnome

On Thu, 11 Feb 1999, Knud Haugaard Sørensen wrote:
> Hi,

Hello.

[lightly edited]
> I have use gnome for a while. So, now I would like to compile it
> myself. But I got a problem.  I would like to have gnome in /opt/gnome
> Like in the gnome faq.
>
> I made glib with
> cd glib-*/
> ./configure --prefix=/opt/gnome
> make && make install
>
> all is ok, here, but trying yo configure gtk+ something went wrong.
>
> using
>
> cd gtk+-*/
> ./configure --prefix=/opt/gnome
>
> I get that /usr/bin/glib-config don't exisist
> (but it is in /opt/gnome/bin/glib-config)

What do you get when you type "which glib-config".  The response should be
like this:
  $ which glib-config
  /opt/gnome/bin/glib-config

If it tells you something different, you might have two glib-configs on
your system.  If it tells you nothing, than glib-config isn't in your
path.  Make sure your path has "/opt/gnome/bin", and that glib-config is
actually in that directory.

> How do i tell ./configure to look in
> /opt/gnome/bin/
> for the glib-config file ??

You can explicitly tell configure how to find it with the configure option
"--with-glib-exec-prefix=/opt/gnome".  However, I use --prefix=/opt/gnome,
and I haven't had to use the --with-glib options at all.

> ps.) I have /opt/gnome/bin/ in my PATH.

Also make sure that you have /opt/gnome/lib in your /etc/ld.so.conf file.

Best of Luck,
-Gleef