Re: New GNOME development mailing list

Hello Havoc,

> Of course the first thing I did was leave out the "-request," like a
> moron.
>
> Miguel, can you explain what this list is for vs. the other lists?
> (I'm just not sure which devel talk goes here, which to -hackers; and
> where do bugs go (bug tracker only?))

Very good question.

The idea is to split a bit the traffic from gnome-list.  Gnome-list
used to be a list where important topics were discussed, but as more
and more posts of the form "I could not untar gnome-libs bla bla" have
appeared, we need a new list to keep these public discussions on the
code.

Some people resorted to discuss development issues only on
gnome-hackers, due to being a low-noise, high-content list, but it is
a private list.

gnome-devel-list:
	Discussion/questions on gnome development issues.
	Discussion/questions on gnome applications development issues.
	Discussion/questions on grounded topics on GNOME topics.

gnome-list
	General GNOME discussions.
	Discussion on the GNOME future.

gnome-hackers:
	well, -hackers is intended as an administrative sort of list.
        Like, "Guys, I am about to break all of SM in the tree" or "I
        have rewritten Imlib in asssembly, commiting now".

        gnome-hackers is more of a gnome-hackers-glue list.

We should probably move all of the GNOME design discussions to
gnome-devel-list and just keep gnome-hackers as a glue list.

Gnome-devel-list is intended to be open to every developer on earth
that wants to write gnome applications, and to discuss further gnome
extensions, work, and all that sort of stuff.

best wishes,
Miguel.