Re: Hackers: Solaris help required for Gnome-terminal.

>To: "Mark R. Bowyer" <Moredhel@earthling.net>, gnome-hackers@nuclecu.unam.mx
>Cc: GNOME-List <gnome-list@gnome.org>

>	4. gnome-pty-helper program does the session setup: it includes
>	   opening the master/client ptys, setting them up and
>	   registering utmp/wtmp entries if required into the system.

>Apparentlyl step (4) is wrong for Solaris, but I have no clue on how
>to fix this, I could use some help here.

Well, first off, thanks for putting me personally in the To list.  Makes me feel
really... Beholden =OZ

Had a quick look at this, as much to understand the problem as to try to fix it.
This isn't really my field.

So first, since you start this SUID root, and doing this on Solaris triggers all
sorts of nasty security-based stuff (like ld.so.1 ignoring the LD-based env.
variables), libz.so can't be found in /usr/local/lib.  You see:

	ld.so.1: gnome-pty-helper: fatal: libz.so: open failed: No such file or
	directory

and the gnome-terminal just sits there not being a terminal.

Put in a link from /usr/lib/libz.so to the real one, and voila, gnome-pty-helper
runs OK, and you get a terminal session started in gnome-terminal, but it warns:

	Warning: no access to tty (Inappropriate ioctl for device).
	Thus no job control in this shell.

Is this what you meant?

If so, I know someone who might be able to help here,

Ta,

-------My opinion - Not sane, intelligent or necessarily useful-------
o o                                      mailto:Moredhel@earthling.net
/v\ark R. Bowyer.  http://i.am/Moredhel  mailto:Mark.Bowyer@UK.Sun.COM
`-'                                             I'm the dots in .co.uk