Re: Failures with -rpath in libtool?

Just this guy you know wrote:

> Anyone else seen failures like this lately:
>
> /bin/sh ./libtool --mode=link gcc  -Wall -g -O2  -o libpopt.la   popt.lo findme.lo poptparse.lo poptconfig.lo popthelp.lo
> libtool: link: you must specify an installation directory with `-rpath'
> Try `libtool --help --mode=link' for more information.
> make[2]: *** [libpopt.la] Error 1
>
> This was in ORBit this time, though last time I saw it happen
> I think it was in some other component.
>
> --
> Bruce Ide               greyfox@greyfox.org

Bruce,

I had major problems with this that I finally resolved yesterday
by completely removing all traces of m4, automake, autoconf, and libtool
and all their /usr/share /usr/local/share data directories
from my system and reinstalling from ftp://rawhide.redhat.com/
(You will also need to reinstall getttext).

Don't bother with versions from prep.ai.mit.edu.  The Redhat versions
seem to have changes that haven't been adopted by the original authors
yet.

Also, I had problems with unresolved symbols in m4, possibly due to
recent glibc.
I hacked around the problem with this patch (needs proper fix):

*** m4-1.4/src/stackovf.c.orig  Tue Feb  9 11:07:43 1999
--- m4-1.4/src/stackovf.c       Tue Feb  9 11:14:52 1999
***************
*** 340,347 ****
--- 340,349 ----

      ss.ss_sp = stackbuf + SIGSTKSZ;