"Recording" feature?

Some GUI environments seem to have "recording" features to them, where you
turn on recording and until you turn it off, every GUI action is logged
and you can replay it. I've never really messed with it all that much, but
it seems like a sort of cool feature. I imagine it might be difficult to
implement this sort of thing in GNOME unless you can install function
hooks into all the GTK+ widgets for the purpose of notifying the recorder
of events. Has anyone considered this idea much before?

Cody