Re: gnome-libs-0.99.5

Philippe.Defert@cern.ch writes:

> Sam Vilain writes:
>  > All went well, except for "gnome-gen-mimedb" coring upon "make
>  > install".  The problem appears to be because line 822 of
>  > gnome-data/mime-magic contains a name that is longer than
>  > sizeof(GnomeMagicEntry.mimetype).  Looks like a case of C programmer's
>  > disease.
>  > I think that the culprit is a broken vsnprintf in solaris 2.6 (called
>  > by glib/gutils.c).  It appears to be overflowing even though it's
>  > arguments are sunsible, and the "array" variable in the
>  > gnome-magic.c:gnome_magic_parse gets clobbered.
>  > This is v1.1.14 of glib.
> I did not have this problem at all. I tried to repeat your error:
> refsol26_/scratch/happi/GNU.DESK/gnome-libs-0.99.5/gnome-data_5 $ ../libgnome/gnome-gen-mimedb mime-magic
> refsol26_/scratch/happi/GNU.DESK/gnome-libs-0.99.5/gnome-data_6 $
> But I had an infinite loop with DEC UNIX.

Hmm, maybe it's a compiler/linker thing (gcc 2.8.1/SUNWtoo).  How do I
find out where the copy of vsnprintf came from in a binary?  It's
present in libc.a[/vsnprintf.o], but I'm not too sure how to tell if
that was the one actually linked in.  I tried to duplicate the problem
in a non-gnome fragment without success.
--
Sam Vilain, sam@whoever.com         work: sam.vilain@unisys.com
http://www.hydro.gen.nz                home: sam@hydro.gen.nz