Re: gtk-engines

bob@kehs.ksd.org wrote:

> I just think the new fixed gtk-engines should be released. It is silly to
> make people wait for something as minor as a setting moving from one
> package to another.
>
> On Tue, 2 Feb 1999, James M. Cape wrote:
>
> > bob@kehs.ksd.org wrote:
> > >
> > > I saw the gory details.
> > >
> > > I do have the disable_imlib_cache=false in my Gnome file
> > > Gnome seems to be ignoring it now. I was under the impression that using
> > > the newer gtk-engine stuff would automaticly enable the cache.
> > >
> > > When is imlib 2 supost to be out. Most themes are based on the pixmap
> > > engine. Breaking most themes due to a simple setting seems silly.
> > >
> > > The gtk-engines in cvs fixes it. It is required for the snapshot of
> > > .99.5. It should be available.

> > When is Linux 2.4 going to be released? I don't know, and I'd bet that
> > even Raster can't give you a release date. What I meant was that if you
> > don't want Gnome to run slowly, and it is running slowly because of
> > Pixmap-engine-based themes, then don't use those themes.
> >
> >     Jim Cape
> >     http://www.jcinteractive.com
> >
> >     "All animals are equal, some animals
> >      are more equal than others."
> >          -- George Orwell, Animal Farm

My understanding is that the overall slowness (and memory bloat) is the
result of the way the Imlib cache works (i.e. there is no central cache,
each app has it's own), and while the "don't cache" setting slows things
down a lot more than usual, but the biggest boost of speed will come
from a central cache.