Re: [Re: I cannot get gnome-core to compile all applets.]

On 2 Feb 1999, Miles Lane wrote:
> >>Miles Lane <goldscarab@netscape.net> writes:
> >>
> >> I have checked out the latest CVS tree (this afternoon).
> >> I have built almost everything.
> >>
> >> Every time I try to build gnome-core, I get this error message:
> >>
> >>   checking for libgtop-config... (cached) no
> >>   checking for libgtop - version >= 0.99.0... no
> >>   configure: warning: LibGTop >= 0.99.0 not found
> >>   configure: warning: *** `cpuload' applet will not be built ***
> >>   configure: warning: *** `cpumemusage' applet will not be built ***
> >>   configure: warning: *** `diskusage' applet will not be built ***
> >>   configure: warning: *** `multiload' applet will not be built ***
> >>   configure: warning: *** `netload' applet will not be built ***
> >>
> >> And yet, libgtop-config --version reports:
> >>
> >>   0.99.3
>
> >Is /usr/local/bin in your PATH and did you remove config.cache before
> >running autogen.sh ?
> >
> >Martin
>
> Miles replies:
>
> 	Martin, I do have /usr/bin and /usr/local/bin in my PATH.
> 	I have a script I have written that runs autogen.sh in each
> 	Gnome subdirectory in the prescribed compilation order.
> 	After each execution of autogen.sh, I run:
>
> 		make && make install && make clean && ldconfig
>
> 	So, if "make clean" deletes the config.cache file, then, yes,
> 	it is being deleted.

Running "make clean" does not do so.  "make distclean" would remove the
file, or removing it manually ("rm -f config.cache").

> >>   checking for libgtop-config... (cached) no
                                      ^^^^^^^^
This is basically saying that it is NOT checking for the current presence
of libgtop-config, but rather looking in config.cache, and finding that
when the cache was written, libgtop-config wasn't in the path.

>       My linux laptop is at home, so I'll check this evening to see
>       whether config.cache is getting
> 	regenerated.  If it isn't, is that a bug in the "make clean"
> 	definition?

Nope.  Make clean is supposed to get rid of the results of compilation.
Make distclean is supposed to clear out all the cruft for distribution.
Even make distclean doesn't clear out everything, it still leaves the
.deps directories around (assuming they were made in the first place).

> 	I'll try deleting config.cache 'by hand' and see if that causes
> 	the libgtop version to be correctly identified.  I hope it works
> 	'cause there is a lot of complexity to the autogen process.

Best of Luck,
-Gleef