Re: [rms gnu org: Why you shouldn't use the Library GPL for your next

> Miguel de Icaza wrote:
>
> >    Why you shouldn't use the Library GPL for your next library
> >                            -- Richard Stallman
>
> i read this on slashdot, and although i'm a stallman fan and in general
> a gpl purist, i would like to take a minute away from the normal bustle
> of debugging to mention that maybe this essay, while generally full of
> good ideas, may not be applicable to the gnome project.
>
> my personal opinion is that all libraries in gnome should be lgpl'ed and
> all end-user apps should be gpl'ed. the reason why i support the lgpl in
>
> just a few thoughts. perhaps in the long run shutting out proprietary
> software may positively influence the free software community, but i
> don't think it's that time yet. we're still too young, have some
> maturing to do, and have a monopoly of our own to overcome.

Mentioned in slashdot many times,  RMS wants libraries with no proprietary
equivalents to become GPLed.  Libraries with proprietary equivalents should
be LGPLed.  That goes for glibc, gtk, and gnome libraries, so I would guess
RMS would agree all GNOME libraries should be LGPLed...

--
Li-Cheng Tai (Andy Tai)                       e-mail: atai@ece.ucsd.edu

Free software:  the software by the people, of the people and for the people,
worldwide.  Develop! Share! Enhance! And enjoy!