autoconf help

Hi,

I am in the process of integrating the source for the gnome version
of R into the R cvs repository.  I need some help with autoconf to
get things working properly, so if there are any autoconf gurus out
there...

BTW, R doesn't use automake, and I don't think that using it is a
possiblity.  We already use autoconf for everything else.

Presumably, at some stage in the configure script, we need to check
for the existance of gnome-libs, and this will define some variable
which will apply to the Makefiles.  What do I need to put in
configure.in to achieve this?  I would also like people to be able
to override configure (eg --with-gnome=no or --disable-gnome) to
build without gnome support.

Thanks,
Lyndon