Icons disappeared. 'gmc' core dumping every 30 seconds

Hi

I wonder if anyone can help me with this problem:

System:

i386 (AMD k-6 III)
64 Mb RAM
6Gb hd partitioned into two equal halves with dos/win98 on the first
Booting from LILO

Redhat 6.1 (Kernel 2.2.12-20 Glibc 2.1.2) installed by booting from
Cartman - x86 Install CD

I succesfully installed Linux a few days ago but I had some problems with
gEdit and
opening files from the file manager. gEdit was core dumping. Yesterday I
looked at some of the bug reports on the Gnome website, and tried to
reproduce a few of them. Unfortunately during this (I don't know exactly
what I did - open gEdit and press paste I think - my two desktop icons
(floppy and file manager) disappeared and I could no longer launch any
applications from the panel menu. I rebooted, still no icons but I could
launch applications apart from file manager. Unfortunately now, as quick as
I could close them , error and crash windows were opening for 'gmc'. This
was literally every 30 seconds, and all I'd need to do was look at the
screen. The warning message is something along the lines of  'call to
SaveYourself' not carried out, and then a few seconds later the 'gmc' crash
screen appeared. I rebooted a number of times and still the same thing.
Today as I was writing this email and rebooting back and forth (I have a
winmodem:(  ) from win98 (which is also unstable on this machine) the
problem was still the same, however as I was looking for the information
mentioned in quotes below:....
"On almost all GNOME problems we need your glib, gtk+, Imlib, ORBit and
gnome-libs versions."
....the icons suddenly reappeared and a file manager window opened. 'gmc' no
loner appears to be crashing. Now I really am confused (but happier).

Below are three backtraces from three of the core dumps:

GNU gdb 4.18
conditions.
This GDB was configured as "i386-redhat-linux".
Core was generated by `gmc --sm-cli
(gdb):q
(gdb) quit
94581556500000004920018'.
Program terminated with signal 6, Aborted.
#0  0x4046c4e1 in ?? ()
(gdb) (gdb)

GNU gdb 4.18
conditions.
This GDB was configured as "i386-redhat-linux".
Core was generated by `gmc --sm-client-id default10'.
Program terminated with signal 6, Aborted.
#0  0x4046c4e1 in ?? ()
(gdb)

GNU gdb 4.18
conditions.
This GDB was configured as "i386-redhat-linux".
Core was generated by `gmc --sm-client-id
117f000001000094588258600000004920019'.
Program terminated with signal 6, Aborted.
#0  0x4046c4e1 in ?? ()
(gdb)

Hope you can offer me some advice.

Cheers