su & change passwd problem - only w/ gnome

Hi,

I've been using gnome for probably 1 1/2 years now, but have just
developed a problem where I can't login as super user, my password is
always rejected. I also can't change my normal user password when in
gnome either. This only occurs in gnome. If I start another session via
alt-F1 etc., I can su.

RedHat 6.0, kernel 2.2.13 - neither recently changed.

I have tried deleting and re-establishing my root and normal user
passwords but it makes no difference.

Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks,
Glenn