Re: ABI Word Fonts

"Poletti, Don" <don.poletti@comverse-in.com> writes:

> The problem that all the X word processors have is although
> this will make it look nice on the screen it won't enable
> you to print the nice fonts. You can thank the X consortium
> for that.

There's another problem, too, although it doesn't seem that most
people writing WPs care about it.  The font metrics offered by X are
very limited, as are the encodings.  So, I'm unaware of a way to get
either characters not encoded in a Type 1 font, get kerning
information, ligatures, or pull stuff out of Adobe Expert sets.

xfstt isn't a cureall, even for what it can do.  The most common TT
fonts people use (namely, moved from their Windows partition) have
been extremely carefully hinted for use at low resolution.  Most
random TT fonts you pull off the web won't look much better than
random T1 fonts (maybe they will, I've heard that the X T1 renderer is
pretty weak).  I want antialiasing, but X doesn't really support that.

A poet who reads his verse in public may have other nasty habits.