RE: Summary: logout/halt/reboot as ordinary user, gnome logout b

On 14-Dec-99 Svante Signell wrote:
> - GDM, XDM or KDM are not interesting, since then ALL users have to use the
>   graphical login. I prefer to go to X with startx, for other users
>   startx can be put in their login scripts. I know you can always go to
>   a virtual console with CTRL-ALT-Fx, x = 1,...,6. I dont prefer this
>   solution. It is much nicer to start X from the console, from there enabling
>   logging of errors etc.

        Since at least part of your objection to an all-graphical
environment, would an option to log such errors to a special
console window an acceptable alternative? Those errors do get
written to a log in most cases, it's just not convenient to get
to, and it gets overwritten on each new login.

        I used to do things the way you do, and still use terminal
windows an awful lot. The only other disadvantage of the all-graphical
approach that I can see is that if something goes wrong with your
login manager, you may not be able to regain control of your system
unless you can login through the serial port or the network. BTW,
I've used Xdm/X, GNOME, and CDE in this way, they all can do this
if you fiddle with them often enough. But they're also very convenient
when you have to create a system that non-programmers will be using.

Date: 14-Dec-99  Time: 10:46:34

Craig Orsinger                  (email: <orsingerc@epg-gw1.lewis.army.mil>)
Logicon RDA
Bldg. 8B28                      "Just another megalomaniac with ideas above his
6th & F Streets                 station. The Universe is full of them."
Ft. Lewis, WA   98433                   - The Doctor