Best tool? gdkpixbuf?

Hey guys,

I'm considering porting a simple little sprite based X game to GNOME
(actually, more of a rewrite, I've lost the semi-working original source
:-( )

My needs are fairly simple;

1) Access to a rectangular area for pasting sprites into. Double buffered
is better. Auto handling of expose events for me is better still.

2) Convenience method to load .gif's/.other_file_format's into a sprite
buffer.

3) Convenience method to paste sprites into the rectangular area,
regardless of screen depth and also sprite bitmap depth. THIS MUST BE
FAST!! A notion of transparent would be good, too.

Previously, I wrote all these by hand. But I'm guessing there will be
GNOME API's to handle this? gnome-canvas? gdk-pixbuf? Are they fast?

Cheers
Chris