RE: gnomepad is too slow (thread of Milestones document)

On 08-Dec-99 Andrew Post wrote:
> What X-server (driver and version) and windowmanager are the people
> experiencing this problem using? On what platform? I've never experienced
> this problem, so I'm wondering if these three factors have something to do
> with it.

        In my case, I've noticed the problem with gnotepad and spruce.
I use these programs on three different systems, at least two of which
have this slowness problem. The two systems known to be slow are:

System 1)
        NEC Versa LX PII/300MHz (laptop)
        ATI Rage Pro video 4MByte RAM
        Accelerated X v4.1.2 (1024x768x32(packed))
        RedHat Linux 5.2
        Linux kernel version 2.2.13
        October GNOME with v 1.0.54 gnome-core and gnome-libs
                (compiled and installed in /usr/local)

System 2)
        ASUS P7 board with 300MHz K6 CPU
        Matrox G200 video 12MByte RAM
        XFree86 version 3.3.5 (SVGA server)
                (1600x1200x32)
        RedHat Linux 6.0
        Linux kernel version 2.2.9
        October GNOME with v 1.0.54 gnome-core and gnome-libs
                (mostly rebuilt from tarballs using rpm)

        There's not much in common between these two systems, other
than the GNOME version. The other thing in common that I can think of
is that both have GNOME's sound facility enabled, and they use the
free OSS-ish drivers.

Date: 08-Dec-99  Time: 11:17:46

Craig Orsinger                  (email: <orsingerc@epg-gw1.lewis.army.mil>)
Logicon RDA
Bldg. 8B28                      "Just another megalomaniac with ideas above his
6th & F Streets                 station. The Universe is full of them."
Ft. Lewis, WA   98433                   - The Doctor