Re: Milestones document

On Tue, 7 Dec 1999, Jim Gettys wrote:

> Even in 1990 or so, we made the X server MUCH faster while simultaneously
> reducing its memory usage in data structures to 40% of the first release
> of X version 11.

The main problem is finding a place to point the finger at as a starting
point for optimization. GNOME differs from XFree86 in not being one huge
program with half a meg of optimizable code in one place.

I agree with your observations 100%, however, I also agree with Havoc,
because there are many cases where using memory can replace using compute
time (e.g. gnome_config avoids accessing files with its cache).

I think the biggest problem with these speed/memory-usage complains is
that nobody is sure exactly what part of GNOME-related stuff needs
optimizing.

-- Elliot
Rome did not create a great empire by having meetings, they did it by
killing all who opposed them.