GTK MenuItem "activate" and "activate-item" signal

Hi,

What is the difference between "activate" and "activate-item" signal in
GTK?

I am writing an app which have menus that have menuitems created on the fly.
Each time I click on the parent MenuItem, the submenu's component are constructed.
After the parent menuitem is de-selected, the submenu's menuitems are destroyed.
But by doing this, I can't catch the signals that are emitted by the submenu's
menu items. I use "activate" signal.

Can using "activate-item" signal avoid this?

Also one question, when I destroy a widget, what about the signal that are
connected to it? Are the objects that represents the signals on that widget
destroyed so I don't have to care about it?

Michael