Re: gnome-terminal question

On Sun, Dec 05, 1999 at 01:18:16PM -0600 or thereabouts, cyberclay wrote:
> Hey,
>   Is there a way to start a gnome-terminal with a transparent back-
> ground, from the command line?  Like:
> gnome-terminal --background=transparent
> ?

There is. Start a gnome-terminal off. Open the preferences window
for it. Where it says Terminal Class and (probably) Default, change
that to another name. 'transparent' would be good :) Then go to
the Images bit where you can select transparent and select that.
Check that it still says the name you gave it (sometimes I find
these things don't stick) and ht 'okay' or 'apply'. You'll probably
get a "You have changed the class of this window - continue?" dialogue.
I hit 'yes' to that.

The gnome-terminal will turn transparent. Because you changed the
terminal class name as well as the actual background, you now have
a terminal class called 'transparent' (or whatever) for the future.
(You can get the one you're sing back to the normal one by selecting
'Default' in that terminal class list in the preferences.)

When you want to start one from the command line in future, you
use
	gnome-terminal --tclass=transparent	(or whatever you called it)

Don't use 'class' by accident: that does something different, although
I'm never sure what. If you call the terminal name something with more
than one word, put it in quotes (gnome-terminal --tclass="plain black"
for example).

I later had a look at the format of the .gnome/Terminal file and
added a few more tclasses that way, because I found it faster than
clicking on dialogues, but I don't think that's the recommended
way. I messed it up quite badly at one stage as a result. (One
called 'default' and one called 'Default' upsets it badly...) You
have been warned :) (But it's still faster if you have a bunch of
preferences to add and keep a backup in case. :))

Telsa