Re: What is the cleanest way to shutdown in a gnome-session?

Havoc Pennington wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Aug 1999, Dan Hensley wrote:
> >
> > 1)  Device / was busy, so it forced a check on reboot.  This happens
> > quite often, and I'm not sure of the cause.  I've only noticed it since
> > I upgraded to 2.2.x kernel, and moreso now that I'm using gnome-session.
> >

> weird, this doesn't seem like it would be a Gnome problem - I don't have
> any insight. Maybe someone else will.

I'm not sure that it is a Gnome problem, but perhaps Gnome does something
that makes it show up?  All I can think of is that some files are still being
held by Linux when it's time to umount.  But I don't know enough about the
shutdown process and umount to know exactly how to pinpoint this.

> > 2)  When I restarted the machine and logged in, gnome-session tried to
> > restart gshutdown as user, so I natually got the message about not being
> > able to use it as non-root.
>
> Ah crap. This is a bug in gshutdown. Can you file a bug on bugs.gnome.org
> about this? (send mail to submit@bugs.gnome.org describing the bug,
> including these lines at the top of the message body:
> Package: gnome-utils
> Version: <your version>
>
> Thanks!

Done.  I just submitted reports for the two bugs listed.  I might even take a
hack at it to see if I can figure out how to modify the code...

> > Is there any way to manage Gnome
> > applications from gnome-session?  What I'd really like to do is not have
> > it restart applications that were running during my last logout, or at
> > least have more control.  Along these lines, is it possible to have
> > gshutdown allow shutdown and reboot for non-root users if I set-uid
> > shutdown?
> >

> Right now gshutdown requires you to be root. You might file a bug about
> this too...
>
> > 3)  It seems as though Gnome did not exit cleanly, because I had a core
> > dump from one of the Gnome components.  I _always_ get one when logging
> > back in
> > after an unnatural gnome-session logout (i.e. shutdown,
> > <CTRL>-<ALT>-<BACKSPACE>).  The application that dumps will vary, but it
> > will always happen.
> >

> GTK+ 1.2.4 should fix this; the problem was just that GTK+ dumped core
> when an X error occurred, so we could debug the X error. What you are
> actually seeing is _all_ the GTK+ apps dumping core in a big core-pile,
> each overwriting the last. Now the debug behavior is turned off. :-)

Oh, so that's what's happening.  I was wondering why it seemed like different
applications were dumping at different times and not one in particular.  But
I just updated to GTK+ 1.2.4, and I'm still getting core-dumps.  Is there a
configure flag I need to explicitly set (I took all defaults)?

Thanks for the quick response,

Dan