Re: Making gnome speak

On Fri, Aug 27, 1999 at 09:45:44PM -0400, SEGV wrote:
> The problem is far more complicated than that. Ever see a blind person
> use a computer? Their needs are more complex, and what's the point of
> adding voice output to a computer system if it doesn't free you to not
> look at the screen?

Uh? I don't understand what you're trying to say. Can you be a bit more
specific?

> For example, what happens when I am skipping through menus faster than
> they are being read?

There is a configurable delay: if you're fast enough you listen only to
the last menuitem (actually there are two separate queues: one for sound
and one for speech output).

> How quickly can I turn it off if my phone rings?

This depends on the speech server, but should be under a couple secs.

> Can I replay the last few messages because I was distracted?

Just ten lines of code scheduled for the next release.

lupus

--
lupus@debian.org
Se devo emigrare in America, come mio nonno, prendo il tram!        [F.G.]