Re: Simplifying package installation.

 > >       I agree: falling back to .tar.gz means there is no package
 > > management at all.

Actually, um, you're completely wrong..  You could store the packaging
information in a file named PACKAGE.  There is (and was) exactly
*zero* reason to invent a special file format for holding packages.
The people who did that thought they were running VMS or something, I
dunno.

The way Miguel explains CORBA is: Why invent custom protocols for
interprocess and intermachine communications?  Create an API and let
CORBA do the communicating.  You can take the same principle and say:
why invent custom file formats?  Create an API wrapper around an
existing file format.

James Green wrote:
> Both distributions will run the same software, the software is
> derived from the same courses and authors, so why the hell should
> the author have to build a tarball for the sources, an rpm for
> RedHat-based systems, and also (or get someone else to build) .debs?
> No, software packaging and distribution should not be based upon
> which distribution you are running.

Dan Quinlin is God.

--
-russ nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>  http://russnelson.com