Re: Opening Tar Files

kkhan@idirect.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am having trouble opening up a tar file. The name of the file is
> GTKstep[1].tar.gz that I downloaded from gtk site. I am having trouble
> 'untaring' it. I can see the file in file manager and looks fine, but I
> can't open it... I dont think I am using the right command..
>         Can someone give me the correct command to untar a file please?

Open a terminal and type:

tar xvzf GTKstep[1].tar.gz

Note that GTKstep has to be compiled, just type

./configure
make

to compile it then su to become root and type

make install

to install it. Make sure you type exit after installing, it's dangerous
to stay root longer than neccessary.

Then use the theme capplet to change themes to GTK step (ps it is the
best one good choice, in  my opinion anyhow :) )

> Also is there a utility out there like winzip that does tarfiles?

Winzip works with tar files but I do not know if will run under Wine.
There are two programs called guiTAR and gxTar on the Gnome software map
in the System Utilities section, I don't know how good they are.

Harry Henry Gebel             ICQ# 43675297
West Dover Hundred, Delaware