Re: BeOS GTK Theme

The GTK+ themes system works by loading shared libraries that contain
functions for performing drawing primitives (such as draw an embossed
box).  These shared libraries are called theme engines.  Some examples are
GtkStep (which you were using), metal, and the pixmap engine.

The pixmap engine draws images to the screen for the drawing primitives,
and can be configured from the style RC file.  The majority of GTK+ themes
you find are probably based on this engine, because they do not require
any coding.  They are slower of course (what do you think would be faster
-- drawing an image to screen, or saying `clear this area to this colour,
then draw some lines around it').

If you want a faster beos theme, it would probably have to be converted to
a theme engine.  This could be a nice project for someone who likes the
beos theme, such as yourself :)  Or you could ask the beos theme author
about it (they may not be able to help though).

James.

--
Email: james@daa.com.au
WWW:   http://www.daa.com.au/~james/