Creating a non priviledged user

I have already created a non-privileged user on the Red Hat Linux 5.2
machine but I can't seem to find any documentation to show or tell me how
to configure a non-privileged user. What I did is logon as root and
successfully installed Gnome under the root account but when I start Gnome
it warns me "You are running the Gnome File Manager as root. As root, you
can damage you system , and the file manager will not stop you. Your manual
explains how to add a non privileged user account to the system. Well I
don't know where to look I have looked in the Gnome User Guide but I can
not find any info on this. Can someone please help me with this or point me
in the right direction to look ???

Rodney Cardenas
Allied Electronics, Inc.
rodney@allied.avnet.com