Re: Panel keeps disappearing

Christiane Tom wrote:

> First, my appologies if this question has already been asked and
> answered - I did look through the list archive without finding a
> solution to my problem.
>
> I'm running RedHat 6.0 on my computer, and as a user I'm
> running the Gnome desktop. I love it but I've been having a
> problem with it - my panel keeps disappearing... it's the second
> time now, I log on and my desktop comes on, but without any
> panel. Sometimes I'll get a box that tells me that a panel is
> already running, do I want to start a second one (and no matter
> if I say yes or no, I still don't get my panel back) but usually
> there's no error message. The first time it happened, I ended up
> deleting the user, then going back in root and creating a new user,
> then configuring my panel again. This time I'm not sure *what* to
> do, and I don't want to go through the matter of creating a new
> user again if this problem is going to keep on happening.
>
> Does anybody have a hint for me ?
>
> Chris
>
> --

Hi Tom and all
Actually, I have got the same effect from time to time.
Without any apparent reason, at startup the panel starts
and starts one applet after the other, and then:
ooops -> it dissapears.

Actually, it is sufficient to simply delete the ~/.gnome/panel.d
directory.
When having done that and starting the panel again a newly reinitialized
panel
shows up, but with all the settings and applets gone :-(((

One solution has been offered by Tom Gilbert:

<snip>
> Well, my personal solution is a couple of lines in my .xinitrc
>
> cd ~/
> rm -rf ~/.gnome_backup
> cp -R ~/.gnome ~/.gnome_backup
>
> Every time gnome starts, the backup is created. If Gnome screws up, I
> just replace .gnome with the backup, *before* starting gnome again
> (the backup would be overwritten).
<snip>

cu
Hanspeter