Re: Resolution

ryan derrickson wrote:

> I am very new. I can't get any better than 640x480 resolution. I'm using red
> Hat v.6. My video card was listed during setup but the install kept failing
> while creating monitor settings. Now that Linux is loaded, how can I change

First update your XFree86 files check
http://www.redhat.com/corp/support/errata/RHSA1999013_02.html

Double check you get and are using the right Xserver, grab the newer
font set if it is newer
a quick way to check if a rpm is new than what you have is from a
terminal window type rpm -q FOO.rpm then compare if version numbers are
different go with the new one.

More good reading
<http://www.redhat.com/corp/support/docs/XFree86-upgrade/XFree86-upgrade.html>

after getting your server in shape you need to run a configurator from
the command line with out Xwindows running.
There are two that installed with a stock redhat 6.0 cd

[Xconfigurator] menu-driven just type: Xconfigurator    when it asks
what resolution you can pick more than one
after Xwindows starts use ctrl alt, and the + from the number pad to
change resolution on the fly.

[xf86config] scary text tool but works very very well
type: man xf86config

I prefer [XF86Setup] I found my copy in the powertools section from the
Redhat 5.2 CD you can find it ftp there also.

Hero Geeks hand edit there /etc/X11/XF86Config file I saw this done at a
LUG meeting If you are careful......

Dennis Lee