Re: Security in GNOME

What I was talking about in my last message was the possibility of using
gsu/consolehelper as a trojan horse for collecting passwords, rather than
exploiting any buffer overflow or passing invalid data to the setuid part.

If either of these programs conforms to the user's selected theme then
someone who has compromised the user's account will be able to collect the
passwords entered into either of these utilities.  They would then be able
to gain root access later on with the normal su command.

They could do all this without modifying the actual gsu or consolehelper
binaries (so rpm --verify will not detect the problem) -- just upload a
single theme engine shared object and modify one configuration file.

James.

--
Email: james@daa.com.au
WWW:   http://www.daa.com.au/~james/