Re: GLIBC2.1

On 9 Aug 1999, Zombie_97 wrote:

> Hi I am wondering if anyone can give me some instructions on how to install the GLIBC2.1 libraries..
> I got the tarballs from freshmeat and I untar them do a make make install and when I try to install the newest gnome libs like the core and the gnomehack.. Newest versions of the core libraries.. It still asks for the glibc2.0 or 2.1.. I tried instaling the linuxthreads and the crypt with the libs but I could only do one at a time.. What gives? Is there an RPM or just the tarballs?

You're going to want to be very cautious when upgrading your system
libraries.   There is a GLIBC HOWTO, that details going from libc5 to
libc6(glibc2.0).  It should be applicable when going from libc6(glibc2.0)
to glibc2.1.  It's not as easy as make make install.

What distribution are you using?  I think RedHat6.0 and Mandrake's newest
are the only distributions utilizing glibc2.1.  If you have one of those
you're all set.

Brian Seppanen
seppanen@bresnanlink.net
Bell Memorial Hospital