Re: Usability suggestions

On 08-Aug-99 Patrick Markiewicz wrote:
> Warren Young wrote:
>>
>> I have two suggestions for the GNOME environment I'd like to see added.
>> Neither would be terribly difficult, and neither strays radically from
>> fundamental design decisions like many of those in that _other_ thread.
>>
>> 1. This has already been suggested at least once before, but I want to
>> second it: a way to align icons on the desktop to some grid whose box
>> sizes you can set.  Windows 95 and later have this in their "Line up
>> icons" item on the right-click menu.  A tidy desktop leaves a much
>> better impression than one whose icons are slightly out of kilter with
>> respect to each other.  I lack the patience to line them up by hand.
>>
> I have something to add to this suggestion.  I think in KDE the icons
> are lined up automatically.  I would actually prefer this method of
> automatically lining up icons over haveing to select a menu item the way
> windows does.  In fact I think Windows was really foolish for doing
> things that way, because who wants their icons all cluttered.  If anyone
> does then I guess it should just be an option, but I, for one, never
> like my icons cluttered.
>                                                               Sincerely,
>                                                               Patrick
Markiewicz

what about people who don't like their icons arranged the default way? My
brother (who uses win95) likes to put a desktop image that leaves a wide black
border around it, then place his icons along the top and side edges. It actually
looks pretty good on screen (except for that ugly start bar). It's not that
people like cluttered desktops, its taht they like arranging them how they want
it, not how some guy coding decides they will have it...