Re: gnome-core requires xscreensaver?

On Fri, 6 Aug 1999, Gregory McLean wrote:

> -> I was looking at gnome-core.spec and I saw that it requires xscreensaver.
> -> Have I understood this correctly? If gnome-core cannot live without it's
> -> screensaver, that's like... having an operatingsystem that cannot live
> -> without it's webbrowser! ;-)
> ->
> Thats more a dependency to prevent confused newbies. The
> control-center/panel/whatachmacallit has an xscreensaver capplet. So
> installing a capplet without the application will cause confusion. Besides
> RH includes
> xscreensaver in the dist so more then likely it will be installed.

Wouldn't it be better then if the capplet was included in the screensaver
package? I really don't want to be forced to install a program that I know
I won't use (especially a program that litters a lot in /usr/bin :-).

About the "Lock screen" menu choice: Having "Lock screen" in the foot menu
might or might not be a good idea. I only know that if that choice is in
the menu and there is no facilities for locking the screen then the choice
should be disabled and greyed out with an explanation on the right click
(or something, sometimes I want to know why something isn't available to
me).

> -> Seriously, can xscreensaver do the real thing and just "xset dpms"?
>
> xscreensaver does more then just blank the screen :)

Yeah, it hogs the CPU! :)

--
Per Erik Stendahl