Re: Gnome Icon Status Report #1 -- The "We need nearlyhundred" report

Cory Watson schrieb:

> I'd be very hapy to help.  An example icon would be nice, as I dont have a
> Linux box here at my home.  Could someone be so kinda as to email me one of
> the icons used in Gnome?  Ill be happy to create as many icons as I can.
>
> At 01:45 AM 8/8/99 +0200, Matthias Warkus wrote:
> >Rationale:
> >
> >Gnome needs more icons. No one seems to be painting new ones. Even the
> >already-existing pixmaps are not used where they could be. This needs
> >volunteers to be solved.
> >Maybe this attracts some.
> >Maybe not.
> >But trust me on the sunscreen.
> >
> >TOTAL
> >~~~~~
> >
> >Doing a rough count of all the dashes I made and the icons the
> >"Conflicts" section requires, I come up to exactly 100 icons that are
> >missing from Gnome's two most important menus. Deducting 13 positions
> >which can be filled by existing icons or that are duplicate, we can
> >estimate that 87 icons need to be made.
> >
> >That is only the beginning, but I dare not think of what's beyond the
> >foot menu and panel context menu.
> >

> >REMARKS
> >~~~~~~~
> >IMHO, applications or submenus which have not got a proper icon yet
> >should consider using a different icon with a related theme or the
> >"foot question mark" icon instead of simply leaving a blank.
> >
> >The first thing I'll do now is mail the maintainers of some
> >applications whether they can provide icons or change their .desktop
> >files if they've got suitable pixmaps.
> >
> >This report needs to be amended with other icon-related problems which
> >surely exist. Mail me. And of course the mentioned problems need to be
> >solved. Maybe we can solve them. Mail me if you want to paint an icon.
> >I can then perhaps estimate how many people would like to do icons for
> >Gnome and schedule somehow who's doing what.
> >
> >It takes hours to paint a good icon. If you want to paint icons for
> >Gnome, paint them *one* *by* *one* and put at least a day of work into
> >each one. It's necessary, trust me.
> >
> >If you can't paint but have got ideas on the motifs for icons that are
> >yet to be made, mail me, too. They might go into the next report.

How about a little web based icon database ? with previews of existing icons ?
So that registered developers can update the icons, and others can see them at
once.
I code php3 quite a lot, so that won't be a problem.

regards,
   Michael