Re: GNOME Usability Improvements - Fix the window manager!

+++ Fri, Aug 06, 1999 at 01:54:53PM -0400 +++
Michael Stearne e-mails me. Film at 11. Reply right now, after the break.
> > The users have to learn some things. If they don't want to learn
> > something they should use windows or better buy a Mac.
>
> How will Linux ever be a desktop platform with this thinking?

Linux is a desktop platform. Yes, desktops are allowed to be used by
computer-literate people, too. Surprise, surprise.

> Users shouldn't HAVE to learn things, they should have the option of
> learning things if they want to.  You can avoid the the blue screen, by
> locking the eject button on a CD drive like Macs do.

Not the scope of a desktop environment.

> Mounting and
> unmounting of media is done right on the Mac, why can't this method just
> be used in Linux?  Have a "Trash" Can on the Desktop and drag the CD
> there to unmount it.

Completely idiotic metaphor as neither the disk nor the drive are
trashed in the process.

> There is no reason to re-invent the wheel if there
> is a suitable solution out there. Just because a method is used by
> another OS besides Linux doesn't mean it is wrong.

Oh puh-leeease. The Mac is clearly wrong here.

mawa
--
Es begab sich aber zu jener Zeit, daß Volt, genannt der Spannende, in
das Gate der Schaltung floß, zu richten die Wechselnden und die