Re: GNOME Usability Improvements - Fix the window manager!

On Thu, Aug 05, 1999 at 09:56:59AM -0400, Michael K. Johnson wrote:

> Scott Haug wrote:
> > I've found that the program wvdial does a lot of this setup for me, and is
> > hands-down the easiest dial-up app I've found for linux.
>
> I second the motion...  wvdial is a highly-impressive piece of software.
>
> > It has allowed me
> > to bypass gnome-ppp altogether.  It handles modem detection, it determines
> > the correct init strings, it has a heuristic approach for determining how to
> > log in with ppp.  Setup is ridiculously simple (so much so, I don't remember
> > now exactly what I needed to do to get it running, but it took less than a
> > minute).  The only thing it didn't do that Windows could was determine my
> > DNS dynamically.
>
> The next version of pppd will be able to do that, with the "usepeerdns"
> option.  wvdial can't do that for you.  It is done using a Microsoft
> "standard" extension to IPCP, which protocol is managed from within
> pppd.

The version of pppd that I'm using (2.3.7) already does this. A script
automatically updates my /etc/resolv.conf whenever I dial in. Very
convenient with multiple dial-in accounts.

The script that comes with pppd-2.3.7 seems to be broken though. At least
I had to modify it a bit to get it working.

So in my experience, all you really need (with most current ISPs)
is the phone number, your login name, your password, and /dev/modem
should point to the right device.

Ronald